Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Barn Wood Kitchen Floors Have Arrived

Look what was delivered yesterday!!
Our "new" kitchen floors!! I know!  I'm so excited!  (You can tell from all the exclamation marks, right?)

Our "new" kitchen floors are reclaimed from an old barn.  A tobacco drying barn from Pennsylvania to be exact.  I know.  Awesome, right?  Don't worry; the irony of its first life is not lost on me, the non-smoker.

They're knicked, scratched, knotty, and full of holes.  As promised, there's no smell just those beautiful (ugly?) stains left behind from the drying process.

Want to see what my steps are going to look like?
And, yes, I did check to see how the flooring would be packaged.  (Thanks to the suggestions in this book.)  I didn't want a lot of wasted packaging like boxes or shrink-wrap.  I was reassured to find out that the packaging would be very minimal.  (I guess they figured it wouldn't matter if it was jostled around in the semi since the scratches are part of the beauty.)  See those little binding strips in the first pictures?  Besides the pallet they were stacked on, that's all there was.  It's almost like buying in bulk.
 
Now we just have to wait 2 weeks to let the wood acclimated to our house and the local weather before we can install them.  I hope the fact that it's been drizzly for a couple days doesn't matter.
Peace,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment