Thursday, August 23, 2012

Less Trash = Fewer Emissions

Have you ever thought about how long that trash/recycling/yard waste truck idles in front of your house?  What?  I’m the only crazy one?!  Well, welcome to my world!  Now you’re going to start thinking about it, too.

I’ve been playing this little game for a while.  The premise of my “game” is to see how seldom I can take out my trash.  The fewer times I put out my trash, the less exhaust the garbage truck belches into my front yard.  Simple, right?  I’ve got it down to about once a month.  Most of the time the can is barely halfway full because our town has gigantic trash cans.  Gigantic!  It usually gets put out because something in it starts to smell. 

Our recycling can is equally monstrous but pick up only happens every other week.  More times than not, we put our recycling out… but not this week!  Yeah, point for Team Green Home Stuff!  This week it’s less than halfway full so I think (hope) we can go two more weeks without it overflowing.
I know this isn’t a big deal.  I’m not saving any fish by simply not putting my trash out to the curb every week.  Assuming that it takes about a minute to pick up my trash (we have those fancy trucks where the driver doesn’t even have to get out of the truck), I’ve only saved a bit more than half an hour of idling in an entire year. But this is a blog about the little things that I do.  I know little things (positive and negative) add up quicker than I usually think.  If all my neighbors joined my game, each year my block alone could save about 5 hours of idling.  I think most people don’t think about it because "it’s Trash Day, so out go the cans," even when there is hardly anything inside them.
Plus, it’s not like this is hard.  Actually, it’s the polar opposite.  It requires NO action… well, no action other than reducing our waste by buying in bulk and buying only the things we actually need, blah, blah, blah.  But really, you don’t have to do anything!!  You just leave your trash can behind your house, in your garage, or wherever it is you store it when it’s not at the curb.

Simple?  Yes.  Little?  Yes.  Important?  I like to think so.

I read something a long time ago that essentially said being green often goes along with being cheap.  Think about it.  Turn off your light; save money.  Drive less; save money.  Buy quality products rather than single-use products; save money.  You get the point, but green doesn’t usually equate to being lazy.  Here’s your chance (finally!) to be lazy and green! 

Are you willing to give it a try?  Don’t put your trash out for the truck this week.  If your partner gets mad at you, direct them here. ;)
Peace,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment