Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How to Get Less Mail! (Thanks to catalogchoice.org)


I like our mail carrier.   Really, I do.  We’ve even hung out.  I just don’t want to see him every day.  Don't take that the wrong way.  I'm nice.  And, he's cool.  I just don’t want mail!  O.K., so I still want personal correspondence.  (Please invite me to your party.  I’ll be fun.)  The occasional random bill is fine, too.  (Most of those are online now anyway.)  It's junk mail that I'm trying to avoid.
 
Like all those ridiculous catalogs.  I don’t want catalogs!  What is this 1987?!?  Honestly, I don’t need any catalogs.  Ever.  If I can’t find what I need at one of my local stores or online, I’m pretty sure I don’t need it. 

Want to know how to stop getting all those catalogs… especially those ones that just tempt you into buying things that you know you don’t really need?

There’s a handy, little, unassuming website that helped me all but eliminate junk mail coming into my house.  It is www.catalogchoice.org and you’re going to love it!  No, I’m not financially affiliated in anyway but I have used it since January 2008.  It’s amazingly simple.  No more calling customer service numbers and begging to get off the mailing lists.  Just sign up, and then add the catalogs you no longer want to receive.  I told you it was easy.

It’s motivational, too.  It tracks how you're helping the environment by avoiding catalog waste.  It’s one of my simple, little things that actually snowballs into a big thing.  A big thing that keeps clutter and junk from entering my front door!  (Hooray!)  Seriously, in 5 years, I’ve saved 5 trees from being chopped down for catalogs that I didn’t want in the first place!  That’s one tree for every year I’ve used the website.  Plus, it’s awesome that now I no longer receive incredibly, irrelevant catalogs.

Seriously, give it a try, if you haven’t already.  I’m guessing many of you already use this site because it claims that together we’ve already saved:
782,349 fully grown trees
325,840,434 pounds of greenhouse gas
115,506,053 pounds of solid waste
AND
784,735,285 gallons of water
Most of that is not from me… or my mother-in-law!  Did I mention that I’ve started canceling some of her catalogs too?!  She’s actually saved 2 of those trees.  (Yeah!)  I had to request my password to sign her up because it had been so long since my last log-in.  (I think that shows how once we stop getting random junk, our name or address isn’t sold as much anymore!)
Does your recycling bin grow catalogs or food?
Have you received one of those “incredibly, irrelevant catalogs” in the mail this month?  Be honest.  We used to get some doozies.  My “favorites” were the ones for pet vitamins, mail-order steaks, and expensive dolls; none of which have any relevance in my house!  Now how do I stop getting those weekly grocery store flyers?  I need your suggestions.
Peace,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment