Wednesday, March 20, 2013

E-Recycling (cell phones)

"Old Red" has finally retired.  See her there lost in the bottom of that box of recycling?
Much to my chagrin, I finally had to admit that my cell phone needed to go.  It didn't hold a charge.  The button to lock it would only work some of the time.  The buttons to adjust the ringer volume had given up on me.  (This might not sound like much but those are pretty important for a yoga teacher.  Imagine if your teacher's phone rang during savasana?!?)  Oh, but sometimes the ringer didn't work at all.  The real kicker happened when Mr. Green Stuff called but I couldn't answer it when it rang.  Seriously.  The "connect" button could not connect.  Some how I was able to call him back and here's what happened.
Me:  Hi.  I'm sorry.  My phone wouldn't answer.
MGS: Stacey, (pregnant pause) it's time.
Me:  (sounding defeated) I know.

The next day, I was handed a new smartphone at lunch.  

And now my (not so) faithful old phone is sitting at the bottom of that recycling bin.  Not surprisingly, it's pretty easy to find a place to recycle electronics like cell phones, MP3 players, and old laptops.  The hardest place for me was remembering to drop mine off somewhere.  This one is used to raise money for a local school but there are some many different causes like preventing domestic violence in cities big and small,  animal conservation and protection around the world, to purchase calling cards for U.S. military personnel, and even as a fundraiser for disease prevention organizations.  Plus, most wireless providers make it convenient to recycle (and maybe even refurbish) your old phone right when you buy your new one. 

Wonder how it happens?

So, I'm disappointed that I needed a new phone but at least I know I wore out my old one first.  Where did you take your last cell phone to be recycled?
Peace,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment