Monday, March 18, 2013

A New Raised Garden

I just finished reading an interesting book (The Quarter-Acre Farm: How I Kept the Patio, Lost the Lawn, and Fed My Family for a Year) about a family growing 75% of their food.  It was a very interesting book that I actually had no intention of reading.  I can explain.  Mr. Green Stuff sent me to the library (without a list, mind you!) and asked me to bringing home a book about gardening so he could plot out our summer garden.  There were so many that I came home with four.  I thought this one sounded perfect (good thing I brought home three others!) but he dismissed it before he even read the first page.  There weren't enough pictures.  Plus, he wanted a book that explained the planting/growing process in scientific, biological terms.  Personally, I thought one woman's struggle sounded interesting so I read the first couple pages... then I was hooked.  Anyway!  I read this book and then this appeared in our back yard:

Wow!  I know!  Perfect, right?  Well, maybe a perfect coincidence is more accurate!  Mr. Green Stuff has had it planned all winter.  He's actually built a raised bed three out of the past four years... usually on the weekend closest to Earth Day.  It just happened to be a warm enough day over the weekend and he couldn't wait any longer.  He even used some of our left over barn wood flooring as the braces on the outside.

After it was built I "lined" the bottom with our worn-out cloth napkins and dish towels, some used  "disposable" bamboo plates, and the paper bag I'd stored them all in.  They'll eventually breakdown and hopefully keep out some pesky weeds in the meantime.  Then we emptied our compost bin on top of them.

A quick note on "compostable" utensils.  The ones you can see in the picture above have been "composting" for a couple years.  They're clearly not breaking down and are no where close to becoming compost!  Last year, I read that it actually means that it's compostable in an industrial compost facility not my cute little back yard composter.  (Now I know why we had to keep tossing them back in the bin when we'd use some of the finished compost.)  Here's a interesting video about it:

But back to the happy, exciting, feel-good stuff!  

Woo hoo!  We have another garden!  Do you plan to grow any food this year?  Do you feel like you can hardly wait too?
Peace,
Stacey

3 comments:

  1. The Article are written by author are very informative and have a unique idea to share. Thanks for sharing this Information with us.
    We provide best ielts coaching in gurgaon at very resonable price with 100% Sucess rate by AIBEDUCATION.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celestial Living means understanding on a deep level that you are the Universe and not part of the Universe. We are all an intricate part of the same puzzle and Self Esteem Course and Self Confidence Course in Melbourne by Celestial Living at very affordable prices. Learn to be more esteem and boost your self-confidence with us. Call Us Now:- 0421901511 read more :- holistic counseling services

    ReplyDelete