Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Check Out The Library



Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is my place to talk about the little things that I do to help the environment.
Have you been to the library since you graduated?  If not, you’re missing out on a wealth of opportunities!
Most libraries these days have more than “just” books.  You’ll find eReaders, CDs, DVDs, and, of course, books.  Many offer classes, children’s programs, e-recycling, and internet access, too.  Oh, and most offer all these things for FREE!
I read a lot!  Like about 3 books every month, a lot.  Where do I get all these books?  My local library!  (Actually I’ve borrowed a couple from friends and my husband bought a few used ones from Amazon.)  This year, I read a powerful book that I thought would be worth putting on my shelf so I could refer back to it but I was lucky enough to find it at a local used book store so there are options for you if you just have to own every book you read.  (*cough*there's this little thing called minimalism*cough*cough*)
If you read dozens of books each year, an eReader might be a good choice for you but the library is still going to save your carbon footprint.  According to this article, it looks like we each need to purchase more than 40 books just to offset the fossil fuel, water, and mineral usage that goes into making an eReader.  That doesn’t account for the global warming or human health consequences, which are each about double that figure.

Next time you want something, see if your library has it.  

What’s your favorite thing about libraries?
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party.  Thanks for the motivation to join this year.
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about libaries is the interlibrary loan request program!! Nowadays, pretty much any library can get any book from the other libraries. So, even if my library doesn't have something, they can usually get it in a few days. Best of all, I can just search for and order these books online from home and just pick them up when they arrive. I think some people stay away from the libraries because they think they won't be able to find something by browsing through the shelves. With modern day libraries you are basically browsing the vast majority of books in print in the world from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally agree! I'm quickly overwhelmed when I try to "browse" in my local library. I feel like I'm smart enough to understand the Dewey Decimal System but I can't seem to figure how why (and for how long) new books are shelved in a different section. I request everything online... except Children's Books. Those are still fun to wander around and see what treasures are just waiting to be discovered.

      Delete