Thursday, October 18, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Buy in Bulk


Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is where I discuss the little things I do to help the environment.

Whenever it’s feasible, we buy in bulk. Purchasing things in bulk usually costs less and uses a lot less packaging.  Don’t worry; I’m not sending you to any warehouse stores… unless you’re into that kind of thing. 

We first started buying in bulk to cut down on packaging trash, which as you may remember cuts down on my weekly tasks

Most grocery stores have expanded their bulk section to include much more than candy these days.  We get all kinds of things from these bins: grains, nuts, dried fruits, and seeds – the edible kind not the garden kind.
 My mother-in-law even made us these awesome reusable bulk bags so we wouldn't have to use those thin plastic ones.  You can probably find some great ones on Etsy, if you (or your mother-in-law) are not into sewing.
Last time we went to our local health food/supplement store, they were out of the recycled toilet paper we usually purchase.  Since I don’t see the need to use “virgin” toilet paper, I ordered a “case” from Amazon.  When it came, it was a huge (and I mean HUGE) box.  Seriously, my neighbor made fun of me but it’s not like it would ever go to waste. ;)

Bulk buying can be really easy though.  Just by the biggest package appropriate for your household.  If you typically buy 4 rolls of toilet paper at a time, a 12 pack would be bulk for you.  A liter of conditioner from a company like Aveda saves money (it costs the equivalent of 3 normal sized bottles but holds the amount of product in 4 bottles) and plastic (a liter uses 36% less plastic), which is typical of buying in bulk. Sometimes the package will even tell you that it’s big and valuable.
That canister of oats is from 2009 but we just keep refilling it from the bulk bins!
My husband got a package in the mail today… and he’s so happy about it.

Most wine shops and grocery stores, give you a discount when you buy 6 bottles of wine or more, too.  I guess buying in bulk can be fun, too!

Do you buy anything in bulk?
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party.  I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment