Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Laundry Day (The Cold Water Cycle)


Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is where I discuss the little things I do to help the environment.

Sunday is usually laundry day around the Green Stuff house, which reminded me that I haven’t talked about washing in cold water yet.

Back when we were washing diapers, we switched to a front-loading washing machine, which uses less water, and learned about the power of washing with cold water when we could. (Of course, we never washed diapers in cold!)  When someone’s sick, we still use hot water but, other than that, we use cold water almost exclusively.  This saves a lot of energy since most of the energy used by the washing machine is to heat the water. The detergent we use says it is appropriate to use with any water setting and there are many cold water detergents out there today. If you’re wondering, we haven’t noticed that our clothes are any less clean either. 

We buy our concentrated detergent by the case from our local health food store.  We started doing this so we could get one that was powdered without fragrances.  It is packaged in cardboard boxes rather than plastic jugs. "Fragrances" are usually made from petroleum and can be irritating to the skin and respiratory system.  Plus, I don't like how the ingredients are not disclosed. (It seems like the company is trying to hide more than just trade secrets... but I could be wrong.)

Remember, saving energy also saves money.

Give it a try.  If you’re nervous, start with your dark loads then work your way up to whites or sheets and towels.
Peace,
Stacey

To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party. 
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined. (Please.)

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of laundry, do you have any suggestions for an eco-friendly stain remover product? One that's truly effective on tough stains (and that doesn't rhyme with "stout")...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found one yet. :( I actually bought one of those "economy sized" one that rhymes with "stout" about 7 years ago and we haven't finished it yet. I usually try to rinse out most stains as soon as I notice them. Amazingly, this removes most of our stains. Good luck!

      Delete