Thursday, October 25, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Mend It

Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is where I discuss the little things I do to help the environment.


Do you know how to sew?  Yeah, me neither... but I do know how to mend!  And by "mend" I mean "fix" easy things. If you do know how to sew (read as: you don't "break" your sewing machine every time you use it) then this little thing is going to be simple.  For the rest of us, here's my theory: if it's already broken/ripped/torn, all I can do it make it better, right? :)
This is how I mend... usually by hand and sloooooooowly.
My skills aren't anywhere near what I would classify as "good" but they get the job done and are acceptable.  In fact, in the last few weeks, I've fixed a few things that have turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. I mean, you can still see where I fixed them but only if you're really looking.   
This shirt had a v-shaped rip.
I'm assuming no one will notice the one on the shirt because it's along and across the side seam.  In fact, it's been worn three times since my repair job.
I couldn't match this color exactly.
The way the material of the blue vest is made, I'm not sure the repair will last through the season.  I figure if I get any wear out of it, it's more than before I got out my trusty needle and (almost matching) thread though.  It was unwearable with the tear.
The zipper on my purse broke.  This was "unfixable" by me but I knew it could be repaired.
I know my limits so this went to a tailor.

My local tailor replaced the zipper and figured out how to reattach the strap.  She told me it was hard to do because she machine sewed and hand sewed it.  (Do you think she was just trying to make me feel better?  I'm kind of thinking she was!)
 
One of my friends made me really happy when you told me about a shoe repair she foundFor a couple of dollars she had this shoe mended over a year ago.  
Saved from the landfill with just a little fix.
The repair is barely visable.  Honestly, I'd seen her wear these shoes multiple times before she told me, and even then she had to show me exactly where it had been resewn.   
Do you have a something that can be fixed rather then tossed and replaced? I'd love to hear about it. In fact, I'd love to see it.
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party. 
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined. (Please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment