Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Make Fewer Trips


Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is my place to talk about the little things that I do to help the environment.

Now that we’ve all quit idling, we’re going back to the car for today’s green little thing.  I try to fit as many errands into one trip as I can.  The easiest way that I’ve found is to make a list and then map it out in my head.  I map it so I’m not retracing my tracks between all my stops.  I usually go to the place that’s furthest away first.  I like to do this because then I feel like I’m on my way home the whole time.   
This also helps save gas! Saving gas and time; what could be better?

Earlier this week I picked saving gas and time over comfort.  I was chaperoning a trip and ended up with an hour to kill before it started.  I could have driven home and spent some time writing this post but I wanted to be more efficient with my time and gas.  I would have only had about 25 minutes at home anyway.  

Before I left I gathered up all the things I thought I might like to have with me during that hour.  I made myself a drink, packed a book and my computer, changed purses (since mine needs repaired), and headed out the door.  A few miles from my house, I realized I’d forgotten my phone… and my drink!  I could have used that extra hour to drive home and get those forgotten things but I decided they weren’t important enough.  Other moms would have their phones if I needed one.  I can survive a few hours without my watered-down juice.  I would be fine, not completely comfortable, but fine.  And I was!

Do you think you can combine a couple trips this week? Hit the grocery store on your way home from the home improvement store.  It’s quicker than making two trips.  Another bonus that I've noticed is that I usually spend less money on impulse buys because I’m ready to be finished.
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party.  Thanks for the motivation to join this year.
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment