Monday, October 15, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Buy the Most Local – Even When It’s Not Very Local


Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is where I discuss the little things I do to help the environment.

This really is a little thing but when I talk about buying things from the same continent the usual response is something along the lines of “oh, I never thought about that.”  I briefly discussed this in my post about buying natural rather than synthetic clothes when possible.

It’s easiest to describe through example so here’s a scenario:
You’ve lost a few pounds by avoiding processed food and you need a need a new pair of jeans.  Of course, you’re donating your old ones because you want to keep your closet organized and give your old jeans a new life in someone else’s wardrobe.  In the meantime, you’ve found a few pairs you like.  How do you pick the pair to take home? 

Well, when all things are equal (natural materials, similar price, etc.) I pick the pair that was made nearest to my home.  Recently, I had a choice of Indonesia, China, and Nicaragua.  Most of us know at Nicaragua is the closest to the U.S. so those are in my house today. 
No, it’s not the ideal choice.  I would have preferred a hemp/organic cotton blend that was made in the U.S. but like I’ve said before I try to make the best choice presented to me then try to avoid the guilt of not being able to make the ideal choice.

Pay attention though.  A guy at my local wine shop tried to talk me into some Chilean wine because he thought all the Americas could count as one giant continent. 
I've also had a salesman tell me that practically everything these days comes from a different continent so we just have to accept it.  It probably goes without saying but in case you were wondering, I didn't buy anything from him.

One of my friends joked that she was going to need to refresh her geography skills.  Honestly though, if I have no idea where a country is located, it's safe to assume that it’s probably far, far away.  

See.  I told you it was little.  Just think before you buy.  And make the best choice available.
Peace,
Stacey

To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party. 
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment