Monday, October 22, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Say Goodbye to Plastic Food Storage

Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is where I discuss the little things I do to help the environment.


With all the scary information out there about plastic leaching, we’ve replaced all our plastic food storage containers

By now you know that I’m not one to run out and buy the newest “thing” and I’d rather use up what I have before buying something new so this is what I did.  At first, I would recycle the plastic ones only when they would crack, become stained, or get those weird white bubbly spots.  As I began replacing them with glass storage, I liked the new ones so much better that eventually I decided it was time to let the rest go.  I repurposed a few as storage containers for things like screws, dishwasher soap, seashells, and crayons.  I donated the ones that were still in new condition.

I replaced most of them with glass storage containers and repurposed food jars but I also got some stainless steel boxes, cloth baggies, and even made my own.  Most of my glass containers have plastic lids so I try to avoid any food contact with the lid.  I also wait until the food is cool before putting on the lid. I really like the solutions I’ve come up with for replacing baggies.  I purchased a couple but more than anything I use the cloth bags that our rice comes in and the little cloth bags that my old purses and wallets came in.  They're all surprisingly sturdy.
I’m not asking you to get rid anything you still use but if you choose to continue using your plastic food containers, please, don’t use them in the microwave

What’s the craziest thing you’ve repurposed (safely) into a reusable food storage container?
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party. 
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined. (Please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment