Friday, October 26, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Buy Used

Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is where I discuss the little things I do to help the environment.

Today's little thing is to visit a resale shop next time you need/want something in order to reuse someone else's discarded item and love it like it's new.

Honestly, I'm kind of new to this whole resale shopping thing. It's tricky.  I'm not going to lie.  It's much, much easier to just got to a big box store and buy something new.  Resale shopping (or thrifting) isn't like that.  It takes persistence to persevere in that world... because who knows what might be there that day.  Now maybe you like to shop so this adds a new dimension to your fun but it's been at least a decade since I've enjoyed going to the mall for "fun."  Boy, can it pay off though!

It seems like a lot of people enter the world of resale shops when kids come into the pictures but sometimes these stores are pretty overwhelming just by the shear volume of things.  I mean check it out:
Pink is not in my minimalist wardrobe color scheme.
The good thing is that it's specialized (kids only stuff) so it might seem less intimidating.

And I'm still not convinced there is much in the way of organization in the "home goods" section at Goodwill most of the time.
A boy used that ab-roller literally 20 seconds after I took this picture
That's why I prefer more specialized stores like ReStore.   The workers at places like this are usually very helpful and knowledgeable.  I've learned a lot by just asking questions. 
At ReStore they even assist when I need a picture to take home.
Plus, she carried my "new" ceiling fan (clearly, not pictured) out to my car and helped load it.

The biggest thing I've learned (regardless of the store) is to have a particular item in mind (say, a schoolhouse pendant light) before entering the store but to be flexible about it.  Lighting for the new kitchen has been my mission this month.  I've been to 2 different ReStores, a mid-century "antiques" store, and 2 different Goodwills... and most of those places more than once.  That's more shopping than I've done all year but it has finally paid off!  I found all the lighting that I need... hopefully.  Look:

I know you can't tell how beautiful they are from that picture... but when the kitchen is finished, those two globe pendant lights and the flush-mount light are going to look great!  Now remember I went looking for a schoolhouse pendant but I was open minded enough to realize how incredibly awesome these lights are. Trust me they are.  (That's what I keep telling Mr. Green Stuff, too.)

Anyway, by shopping resale, I'm reusing someone else's no-longer-wanted-goods.  Like the old saying goes: one man's trash is another (wo)man's treasure! The globes may not have been "bargains" like the flush-mount but to me they were worth every single penny. One of those babies would have cost more than all three combined, if I would have purchased it new... so maybe it still was a bargain.  A "green" bargain!

Remember how I scored these bowling alleys from craigslist?
That was worth the effort of checking craigslist (somewhat) regularly for the past year.  I guess it's time to start working on those things.


Yard Sales count as resale too. And used cars!

I wonder where I'll go today?  What is your favorite resale store?  I might need to visit it.
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party. 
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined. (Please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment