Tuesday, October 30, 2012

31 Days of Little Green Things: Dump An Incandescent

Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is where I've posted every day this month about the little things I do to help the environment.
Today's going to be an easy one.  It's one we've all heard before but worth repeating nonetheless.  Next time you have an incandescent light bulb burn out, replace it with one that is more energy efficient.

If you want to be even more "green" chose an LED (light emitting diodes) over a CFL (compact florescent light) bulb.  LED light bulbs use about half the energy of a CFL.  They do not contain mercury.  (Recycle any CFLs at places like Home Depot.)  LEDs are also the least fragile of the three.

Incandescents are the cheapest to purchase but the most expensive to operate.  They also have the shortest lifespan.  LEDs last the longest but also cost the most.  CFL fall in the middle. 

Here's a great chart (although a little dated) comparing these three types of light bulbs.

While I've searched for light fixtures for the kitchen remodel, I've sought out ones that do not use "candle" bulbs so I can use something more energy efficientI just don't like the CFL ones that are candle-shaped.
 
See you tomorrow for the final day of this series.
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party. 
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment