Saturday, October 13, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Give Up Bottled Water

Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is my place to talk about the little things that I do to help the environment.

We stopped drinking bottled water.  Here's why:

Just kidding.  We switched to reusable metal bottles long before I ever saw that video and, of course, I'll give you more than that.  She makes a bunch of great points and you should totally watch it... but I won't stop there... even on a Saturday!

We've learned a thing or two over the years.  

We used the aluminum reusable bottles for a year or so but when they voluntarily recalled them, we decided the plastic liner just wasn't worth the risk for us.  Now we use stainless steel ones because there is no plastic liner and they are 100% recyclable.  We bought a stainless steel cap earlier this year and now we all race to see who gets to use it as soon as it's clean.

We take these things just about everywhere.  

We use them on our bikes.

We take them to to restaurants.
What?  I need a treat sometimes!

They hook on my backpack when I'm traveling.
Yes, I did repurpose an old sock into a bottle koozie.
You can even use them on airplanes.  Seriously!  Take them through security empty and refill them at a fountain or filling station near your gate.  (I love the filling stations at Chicago-Midway because they each have a little counter that reports how many plastic bottles were avoided by refills made at that individual station.)
The paint chips off and they get dented but they still work.
We even gave one away a couple years ago in St. Kitts.  Our taxi driver was so complimentary of it that we told him he could have it when we left.  You should have seen his smile!  (I hope he's using it as you read this.)

It doesn't take long to make it a habit and then it's more convenient than stopping to buy one.

That's it.  A reusable water bottle + tap water = today's Green Little Thing.

Where's the strangest place you've taken (or plan to take) yours? 

Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party.  Thanks for the motivation to join this year.
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment