Sunday, October 14, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Make a Bottle Cooler

Welcome back to my 31 Days of Green Little Things!  This is my place to talk about the little things that I do to help the environment.

O.K., here it is.  This is the extremely hard and very complicated way I made the water bottle cooler you saw in yesterday's post. ;)

Start with an old sock, preferably one with a hole in the bottom, and a pair of scissors.  (Still with me?)

Next, cut off the heel.  

At this point I would "try it on" your water bottle to get it to the correct length.  I didn't do this the first time I used this one and it was about 2 inches too long.  (It looked more like a water bottle legwarmer than a koozie.)

If I were a talented seamstress, I might bind the raw edge.  Since I'm not, I didn't but haven't had any problems.  I've even washed it and it was fine.

There you go.  I told you it was difficult. ;)  Now you, too, have a way to carry your cold non-insulated water bottle without getting your hands cold or wet.  It definitely came in handy last summer when it was 100+ degrees for so long.  I assume this could also be used to keep hot things warm but I haven't tried that yet.   

If you have any easy repurposed projects, please post them in the comments.  I'm always interested in simple projects. 

Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party. 
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I have to do this for Noah, he hates when his bottle is cooooold. :) Thanks for sharing....off to cut up some of my husband's socks......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works like a charm. His hands won't be cold or wet! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I just came up to this blog while searching for Bottle Cooler posts. making the bottle cooler itself is definitely a good idea. I have read the whole post and liked it a lot. Instead of purchasing, we can also go for creating it by our own. Thanks for the explanation of how can we do it.

    Regards
    ---------------
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you found it and hope it was inspirational. Like I said before, it's so simple to make.

      Here's to warm hands and cold drinks!

      Delete