Monday, October 29, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Cloth Napkins Aren't Just For Special Occasions

Wow!  It's Day 29 of my 31 Days of Green Little Things series.
Have you ever noticed how nice restaurants always use cloth napkins?  It just feels fancier, huh? There's just something about wiping my mouth on a disposable paper napkin that screams, "fast food, fast food, fast food!" to me.  I don't want meals at home to feel "fast" or rushed.  I want them to be relaxed and enjoyable.  Don't you?

Try using cloth napkins, it just feels better.  

And they work better, too.  One cloth napkin can stand up to the biggest, messiest meals.  Sticky, syrupy pancakes? Yep.  Drippy, melty ice cream?  You bet.  Barbecue?  What could be better than a red bandanna napkin?  (I mean, yes, of course.)  When was the last time you used just one napkin with these messy foods?  O.K., well maybe you're just a neat eater, but most of us end up with a bunch of balled up napkins on our plate!

Sure they will probably end up a little stained after awhile but that might just be the excuse I need to take up tie-dying or maybe something slightly less groovy but equally green like making dye from plantsWho knows.  I could!

Obviously, there are green reasons to use cloth napkins rather than paper.  Trees are spared.  Cloth napkins are small and easily fit into any load going in the washing machine already so they don't create more loads.  They're usually available in like-new condition at estate sales and thrift shops since most people only use them at Thanksgiving anyway.  They're reusable.  You'll create less trash.  Most of the time we're able to reuse ours at least once before they go into the washing machine.

Like I said yesterday, when I hang my napkins to dry rather than tossing them into the dryer, they look nice and pressed... almost like a fancy restaurant. ;) Now I need to go learn how to make origami napkins.
Peace,
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined. (Please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment