Monday, October 1, 2012

31 Days of Green Little Things: Avoid Automatic Doors



Welcome to the first post in my 31 Days series of Green Little Things!  This is my place to talk about the little things that I do to help the environment.   I never want to come across as preachy because, just like you, I’m learning as I go along.  
Here’s a little example.  I avoid automatic doors.

It’s pretty easy.  The “regular” door is often right next to the automatic one.

It’s not that I like to put my hand on a (potentially) germy handle.  I do it to save energy.  Obviously, if I’m doing the work, it’s my energy being used rather than some fossil fuel's.  Plus, have you ever noticed how long those automatic doors stay open?  It’s always long after I’ve cleared the threshold.  I can't help thinking about all the warm/cool air going out the door even after I'm inside the store, library, hotel, or airport.  What a waste... even if it's a small one.
If you're an able-bodied person, give it a try.  Next time, open your own door.  You want to feel empowered, right?  Go for it.  Walk passed that automatic door.  Actually, walk around it.  If you’re too close, it will open anyway.  Show off your muscles.  Open your own door.

I open my own door.  It's just a little thing I do to reduce my energy footprint.

Let me know.  Do you open your own door? 
Peace, 
Stacey
To follow other "31 Days" journeys, check out The Nester.  She's hosting this party.  Thanks for the motivation to join this year.
I started a Facebook page for my blog.  "Like" it if you're so inclined. 

3 comments:

  1. No. :( Noah is in love with those buttons at the post office and the library that make the doors open. But I again, I never thought of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could make a big deal about how "strong" he is when he's big enough to use the handle. :)

      Delete
  2. In general cases, the automatic doors are made up of strong glasses that allow too much light from outside to come in. This will help you in saving your electricity bills.

    ReplyDelete