Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Beauty Unpackaged (LUSH)

Why had no one told me about LUSH before last month?!?  Seriously, did you think I wouldn't love the idea of a store that uses minimal packaging?  Did you think I'd be scared off by bar shampoo?  Was it the smell?  Wait!  What?  You didn't know about LUSH either?  Well, you're going to love it! They are fresh handmade cosmetics that are made from organic, plant-based products that are never tested on animals.  Did I mention that most of them come without any packaging whatsoever?!?

Let me start at the beginning.  I've been contemplating the "No 'Poo" hair washing method for a few months now... okay, closer to a year but I'm "nervous."  Crazy, I know!  Especially since I'm not into hair in the first place.  And, really what do I have to lose?  If I don't like it, I could always just go back to my conventional method.  (Maybe I was just to lazy to hunt down a bottle for the shower... it couldn't be that simple.  Could it? But I digress...)  So when a friend suggested I check out this store because they sell shampoo bars with no packaging rather than liquid that comes in (dum, dum, dum) plastic, I was excited!  Super excited!

I was so excited that I even braved the busiest mall around to check it out.  I left with 2 purchases and 4 free samples!  I got so many samples because I was hesitant about the smells.  I quit using or wearing perfumed (or "stinky" as I now think of them) products about 6 years ago.  Now I can barely tolerate them.  According to the manager on duty, LUSH is all about the smell.  My friend who told me about it loves the Karma scent and I almost bought it. 

Anyway, I've been using the Seanik shampoo bar and Jungle solid conditioner ever since that trip last week. Neither of which are stinky at all! And so far, I'm loving it.  Seriously!  Give me a month or two and I'll do a better review.  I'm just happy to find plastic-free hair products so I wanted to share it with you.

The only regrettable thing (other than the fact that I'm not being compensated for this post) is that I couldn't find any package-free products that did not contain SLES.  Boo!  What is so hard to find something without SLES or SLS?

Let me know of any other stores that are package-free.
Peace,
Stacey

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stacey!
    I've never heard of LUSH either!!! I've been considering the No Poo method for years too. :( Too scared. Maybe we should do it together! I do use the oil cleansing method for my face though and LOVE it. I put it in a container though.......

    Great blog post!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are we both so afraid of?!? We should totally do this... later... after I use up this awesome bar shampoo that I'm loving. ;)

      What type of oil do you use for your face? Oh, and as long as you refill your container, don't feel bad. You've reduced your consumption just by using a product that contains a single ingredient! Remember it's all about the little things and watching them add up to make a bigger difference, which usually causes us to want to do more.

      Delete