Friday, December 28, 2012

Our "Scrap" Backsplash

We got a "new" backsplash behind our oven.
And the best part is that I salvaged it!  

I feel like I need to explain a little because "salvaged" might not exactly be the best way to describe it.  It's more like the idea of something being recycled out of "post-industrial waste" rather than "post-consumer waste." 

My dad has a factory that uses this galvanized sheet metal.  The sheet we used for our backsplash is cut from the scraps left over after the machine is fully assembled.  I guess it's best described as "salvaged post-industrial waste" then, right?

Whatever you want to call it, I'm happy because I saved this piece from being recycled or sold on craigslist, which is where I convinced him the rest need to go

We had planned on having a local sheet metal shop create the same look out of stainless steel.  That would have been a perfect match.  I would have been supporting a local business.  And it wouldn't have had that little dent in it near the bottom.  I realize all that but it wouldn't have had the same story.  (You know the story about my dad and the salvaged post-industrial waste!)  It also would have cost a lot more and wouldn't have had that cute little dent. 

So how do you classify this?  Salvaged?  Reclaimed?  Repurposed?  I kind of like my new phrase.  Salvaged post-industrial waste has a nice ring to it.  Plus, I kept something out of the recycling bin for a while and I used another person's trash to make my new treasure.
Peace,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment