Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Repurposed Champagne Cork Cabinet Knobs

I have knobs on my kitchen cabinets!!!
I might not have toe/kick plates under the cabinets yet.  I might not have all the cabinet doors painted yet but I have knobs on the doors that I have finished so far.  And, aren't they awesome?!?  I reused something that's renewable!

Mr. Green Stuff saved all the corks from almost every bottle he'd had when we met.  We continued to do this together for years.  When I noticed we had so many of them they were taking over, I found a place to recycle them.  We kept the ones with sentimental value.  (He always wrote on the ones he saved.)  And now I know why!  We're using champagne corks in our "new" kitchen.
Here's how "we" did it with step-by-step directions so you can do the same.

1. Figure out where you want your knob.  (We wanted ours to line up with the corner of our recessed panel.)  Use a pencil to put a dot there.  We used a laser level to ensure they all lined up.
2. Drill the hole exactly where you put your dot.
3. Place cork over the hole and screw into it from the back.  (We used extra flooring screws, if it matters.)
4. Straighten any design on the top of the cork in order to step back and admire your green skills!

I've read a lot about the durability of our new cabinet knobs.  It appears that they should last a long time but if they don't, I guess we'll have to drink some more delicious champagne.  Darn.

I'm so happy.  Not only are we reusing something; we're reusing something that has meaning to us.  Let me know what you have reused lately in the comment section.  I'd love to hear about it!

Peace,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment